Thursday, February 16, 2012

Homemade Barbara's Snackimals!

Alright. I made up my own recipe. And guess what? It WORKED. You should be pretty shocked right now. Have you ever tried Barbara's Puffins? Or Barbara's Snackimals?
I am addicted to both. I thought to myself a few months ago, "Hey. I bet I could make these Snackimals. They're just crackers after all." And I think I did it. So here's my recipe:

You need:
1 cup whole oats, ground (I just used my mini blender)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Safflower oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teasp salt
1/2 teasp baking soda
1/2 teasp vanilla

1. Mix all the dry ingredients really well in a large bowl.
2. Add the safflower oil, vanilla and molasses. Mix well. I used my hands toward the end.
3. I refrigerated my dough for about 15 minutes, but I don't think it's necessary.
4. Roll the dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
5. Cut the dough into whatever shapes you want. I didn't have any little animal cookie cutters, so I just did diamonds/squares. Also, the dough is a bit fragile and crumbly, so I don't know if adding a bit of water or oil to it before cutting the squares would be helpful?
6. Put on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 8-10 minutes.


When they first come out, they look like cookies, all puffy and soft. But they actually harden up really well and are crunchy when cooled! These are pretty tasty, whether they taste like Barbara's or not! :)



If you taste the dough, it tastes very molasses-ish. But this flavor bakes out.


Mmmmmm!

Follow Me on Pinterest

5 comments:

  1. YUM, now can you make them gluten free? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this Dot? I bet you could make them gluten-free, maybe substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking mix with a bit of Xantham gum? You should try it and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's Dot. I didn't know how to identify myself. I've got another mix I created without potato starch in it. Maybe I'll try it with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should, they taste so yummy! I wish I had little animal cookie cutters so they looked like animal crackers! :) Dion and Des thought they tasted like graham crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I have been looking for this recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete