Friday, August 26, 2011

Mortie the Monstapus!

So while Niall was napping one evening, I decided to make him something (since I never make him anything crafty, which I realized and wanted to fix immediately!). I decided to make him a little foot warmer because he has poor circulation and his feet are always cold. But I wanted it to be a very cute foot warmer, so I came up with this!

I originally wanted to make a monster with little fangs, but he ended up looking like a monster-octopus, so we named him a monstapus.

 Sorry for the bad lighting, it was late at night. I was so thrilled with Mortie's original shape, and when I sewed him he shrunk and I was really sad. I've learned that when you make little stuffed things you want to account for lost material.

Anyway, first I cut out the shape I wanted him to be. Then I cut out little eyes and a mouth, and sewed both of those on. Next I sewed the body together, right sides together and left a little hole so I could flip it right-side out and fill it with rice.

 A knitting needle really helped me poke out all the holes.

So there's poor little Mortie before he got stuffed (his head is so small!).

 Filling with rice...

And Ta-Da! There he is! I thought he looked a bit silly, but Niall LOVES him. He is so excited about him, and he wants me to make more animals for him, ha! He also came up with the name Mortie. I intend to make him a large rectangle-shaped ricebag for when winter actually hits, because Mortie is too small to even cover one of his feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment