Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chalkboard Window

I FINALLY finished painting my big antique window! I bought two windows at a craft show last summer. Here is what the big window looked like before:


Here is the other side:


The backside of the window had parts of the molding worn away, and I didn't want the glass falling out, so I put some calking to help keep the window sturdy.


(I have not painted the backside, but I don't think it's necessary!) 


So the first thing I did was tape up the glass. And yes, those nursing school books came in handy for something! Ha. :)


Then I painted the frame in a beautiful shade of red.


Once the red was dry completely, I put another coat on. Then I let the 2nd coat dry completely (this whole project took me about 4 days). 

I wanted the frame to look a bit rustic, so I bought some Antique Glazing from Valspar at Lowe's. I thought it turned out pretty cool looking. This stuff is a bit tricky because you apply it (and it's black) then wipe some of it off lightly with a rag. Here is how the glazing turned out:


When the glazing was completely dry I taped the edges and finally put a coat of chalkboard paint on the window!


Here it is drying!!!


And here it is finished! I thought it was finished, but I realized that in the sun you can see through parts of the chalkboard paint, which means I'll have to put another coat of chalkboard paint on before I write on it.


But for now, this is what it looks like! :)


I just had to use it for Thanksgiving when all of our friends and family came over. The chalk tore part of the chalkboard paint, so I will have to give it at least one more coat of chalkboard paint.


But I still think it's cool!



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment