Monday, June 27, 2011

Little Gem Birdie

So this is where I originally got my blog name from. I made this little stuffed animal for my brother and his wife for their baby (who is not yet born) and just thought up the name and really liked it. So here is how I made Little Gem Birdie!

I found a bird shape that I really liked online, printed it out in about the size I wanted, and cut it out. Then I traced it onto some felt twice and cut those pieces out. I also sketched a wing shape and cut that out to trace onto some fabric I had. I traced it four times (so the wings were double-sided). Then I played around with the stitches on my new sewing machine and sewed them together, then to the blue felt bird pieces.

I used a large needle and some embroidery thread to free-hand sew an eye on each side of the bird. Then I sewed the two sides of the bird together. 


Here is a close-up of the wings. Not too bad for my first try at a stuffed animal, but it definitely looks homemade!!!


 Then I stuffed Little Gem Birdie with filling. Poor thing! Then I had to hand stitch the little hole shut.



 And here she is! Little Gem Birdie in all her glory!


I also found a neat label on this website and printed it out on card-stock to present to my brother and his wife.



So there she is- Little Gem of a Birdie! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment