Monday, June 27, 2011

Baby Play Mat/Blanket

I've really gotten into making things for my future niece/nephew. I love babies anyway, and my brother's baby (who is due in November) is the first baby in our family in a long time. It's difficult to make gender neutral things (especially when there are way more cute things to make for baby girls!). But here is my stab at a baby play mat (or blanket- it's soft enough!). 



I went to the craft store and happened to come across the cutest owl baby print and it reminded me of the colors and style of what my sister-in-law has been telling us about. So I grabbed it up, and picked out a matching color in a very soft, fluffy fabric. I found some nice orange thread (I thought orange would unify the owl print with the brown), but it turns out you can't even hardly see the thread when I was finished. Oh well, I still think it turned out great!

I started with about a yard of fabric for both the owl print and the brown fluffy material. I put them together, right sides together, and pinned them together, then cut the extra fabric (the brown material was a bit longer than the owl).



I sewed these together with orange thread and removed the pins as I went. I left an opening big enough to put my hand into, so that I could turn it right-side out when I was done. But first I trimmed the extra fabric, as well as the corners.



Then I flipped it inside out, poked the corners out, and ironed the owl material.



I took these pictures before I ironed it, sorry!




I think it turned out well! So cute, makes me want to have a baby too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment