Monday, November 28, 2011

Fall Table Runner

I had been planning on having people over for Thanksgiving this year and I wanted to make a table runner so it would feel more festive. I bought this fabric at The Quilting Bee and I think it's perfect. I bought way too much, but now I have leftovers for another project or two! The fabric is Robin Pickens for Robert Kaufman in Nutmeg

This is one of the only times I made up my own project, so I was excited that it turned out pretty cute! 
First I laid out the fabric.


Then I cut two pieces, each 13" by 38".


I also cut some interfacing a bit smaller than the other fabric. I had never used interfacing so I was excited to try it. It works pretty well! It makes the table runner a bit more rigid.


Next I lined up the interfacing with the fabric and pinned it into place.


Then I warmed up the iron and ironed how the directions said (put the rough side of the interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric, apply iron for 10 seconds, move iron and overlap slightly.) The iron makes the other side of the interfacing turn into some kind of glue that binds onto the fabric.


I ironed the other side too, just to make sure!


Then I put the two pieces of fabric with interfacing right sides together and sewed around 3 of the sides.


And lastly I flipped it inside out (should look like a long pillowcase at this point), then folded the exposed edges under about 1/2" and topstitched that side closed. Then I continued to topstitch around the rest of the sides to make sure it had a nice finished-looking edge.


And voila!


Cute little Fall table runner! :)


P.S. An important note: when it's time to flip the material right side out and then topstitch the exposed side closed, make sure to iron your seams- this makes the table runner look professional!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment