Monday, March 12, 2012

Easy Vegetable Stock


Today I finally made some vegetable stock. I've been meaning to make some for about a week. If you've got a few vegetables you need to use up, you should make vegetable stock! It's pretty easy, and if you're going to be home for about two hours, then you're set!
For my veggie stock, I put in:
-One sliced onion
-A handful of baby carrots (I didn't have any big ones), cut up
-A tomato, sliced
-About 4 stocks of celery, washed and cut

I put a spoonful of garlic into a large pot on the stove and cooked it over medium-high heat for just a minute. Then I added my veggies, some salt and pepper, crushed bay leaves, parsley, a smidgen of garlic powder and a tad bit of tarragon. I let the onions cook just a bit before I added about 10-11 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2 hours.


My stock ended up not being as flavorful as other stocks I've made before, but I think it's because I needed to have more veggies for the amount of water I used (or just let it simmer longer).


By the time it was all said and done, I had a little more than 8 cups of yummy veggie stock that I can use to make soups and dinners with! I froze most of it because I don't use it all at one time. And it made the house smell oh so good!


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment