Monday, March 26, 2012

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls


Sorry for the lack of crafts on here. I've been baking and cooking a lot lately, but I will do some more crafts soon! A few weekends ago I was feeling very energetic and made homemade cinnamon rolls! They were very tasty, rich and sweet. I followed one recipe I found online here but had to modify it because I didn't have any buttermilk, so I mixed some lemon juice with regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. I also used the Pioneer Woman's glaze recipe (except I didn't use an entire bag of powdered sugar, because there are only 2 of us!). The only substitution I had to do was the maple flavoring, because I didn't have any. Maple syrup works just fine! Now, I'll warn you, these cinnamon rolls are extremely addicting and definitely not even close to healthy. But they freeze really well, so freeze them and don't eat too many at once! :) Here is my modified recipe based off the two recipes above:

Homemade (Delicious!) Cinnamon Rolls
Dough
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (or milk with a little more than 1 tablespoon lemon juice)

Cinnamon-Sugar Filling
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt


Glaze
Little more than 1/4 bag powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
Splash of brewed coffee
Dash of salt

1. Place oven rack in upper part of oven. Preheat to 425.

2. Grease 9-inch round cake pan (I use Crisco).

3. Combine Cinnamon-Sugar filling in small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter and mix with fingers until crumbly.

4. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk buttermilk and 2 tablespoons melted butter in small bowl. Add liquid to flour mixture- stir with wooden spoon until just combined.

5. Transfer dough to floured surface and knead until just smooth, about 5 minutes.

6. Roll dough into about a 12x9 inch rectangle. Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with filling, leaving about 1/2-inch border of plain dough around edges. (I didn't do this and it was a mess! The cinnamon-sugar mixture makes a ton, so you might not even need all of it; I had a really hard time rolling it into a tight roll.)


7. Press filling firmly into dough. Starting at long side, roll dough, pressing lightly to form a tight log. Pinch seam to seal.


8. Place log seam-side down and cut evenly into about 8 pieces. (I cut more than that though; it is also easier to cut the dough if you refrigerate it for a bit).

9. Turn pieces onto sides and place in greased pan. Put the first roll into the center of the pan and make a spiral with the remaining rolls. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter.


10. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25-28 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes in pan.

11. While buns are baking, make glaze! Whisk all ingredients together in large bowl until very smooth. Glaze should be thick but pourable. If too thin, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add milk.


12. When buns are done and cooled a bit, pour glaze over them. Oh yum! (I flipped the buns out of the pan first because I wanted the glaze to drip down the sides of the buns.) Mmmmmmm!!!







Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment