Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oat-Date Bars


It's a lot easier to buy granola bars at the grocery store, but lately I've been trying not to buy something that I could make. I tried this recipe from the Whole Foods website. They've got a ton of very healthy and very delicious recipes! I wish there was a Whole Foods store where I live. I visited one for the first time when I visited Nashville, TN and it was awesome! Anyway,
so here is the incredibly easy recipe for the Oat-Date bars. They are really tasty, but dry out after about a week. But since they're so easy to make, you could totally make these every week if you wanted! Also, don't eat too many of them at once, because they do have, er, dates in them (I am not speaking from experience *cough).

Oat-Date Bars:
2/3 cup chopped, pitted dates, divided
1/2 cup water
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 8X8 pan (or whatever you have on hand- I used a larger one and it made more thinner bars). In a blender combine 1/3 cup dates and water, blend until very smooth. Add egg until just combined. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined. Add date-water mixture and remaining 1/3 cup of dates; stir until moistened.

Scrape into prepared pan, level the top with a spatula. Bake until firm and lightly brown around edges- about 17 minutes. Cool in pan and cut into bars. Enjoy!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment