Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homemade Bread!

I have really wanted to make homemade bread for out little family, and so I've been on the lookout for a good recipe. My Mom let me borrow some bread making books, which I haven't tried yet. But I did try a recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Homemade Ginger. Her recipe is so delicious! After the first loaf came out of the oven, I thought, "It actually LOOKS like real sandwich bread!" I will definitely be making it again. When I made this bread, I left out the wheat gluten and dough enhancer (because I didn't have any) and it turned out great. I also intend to try more bread recipes. My Mom gave me two great books, but they do look a bit intimidating!



Here is the bread recipe from Homemade Ginger:
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 T. yeast
2 cups white whole wheat flour

Combine these in your mixer and let it sponge for 15 minutes.

Cover mixture with 1 cup flour* to protect it from the oil and honey. Add the remaining ingredients slowly.

1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 1/2 teasp salt
3-4 cups whole wheat flour* (this does not include the flour you added earlier)

Add flour to mixer slowly until it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Dough should be smooth and elastic, so don't add too much flour.

Knead 6-10 minutes on Speed 1.

Form the dough into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Allow to rise until double in size (about 30-60 minutes). Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350. Allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before placing on cooling rack.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment