Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Love Baking Soda!

Hey there! So I've been on a kick making my own cleaners, etc. A few days ago I had to clean the kitchen sink. You know how coffee stains a white sink? Yeah. I was thinking, "Man. I'm gonna have to use the powdered bleach on this." And then I thought I should try baking soda first, just to see if it worked. And... ohmygosh. It worked just as well as powdered bleach! There is a bit more scrubbing involved, but a little elbow grease never hurt anybody! So, here's my sink after I cleaned it:

Can you believe how sparkly it is?!


I'm pretty proud of my baking soda! (I'm such a nerd, I know!) 

Another use for baking soda is to wash your hair! At first I thought it was insane, but after reading this great blog (Simple Mom), I thought I'd give it a try. You basically just mix baking soda and water together and squirt it on your hair in the shower. She also uses apple cider vinegar for conditioner, but it didn't work for me. I do love the baking soda "shampoo" though! Until I find another natural type conditioner, I'm going to stick with what I already have and use it up. I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in about a week and my hair is way less grimy than it normally is! Don't worry, I wash it every other day with the baking soda! The idea behind cleaning your hair with baking soda is that it doesn't strip your scalp of the natural oils like regular shampoo does. It literally just cleans your hair. It was weird when I first tried it, because my hair felt "squeaky clean"- literally. When I got out of the shower I thought I would have a tangled mess, but I ran my brush through and it was so smooth! Shocker! Anyhow, baking soda is way less expensive than shampoo, and I know exactly what is going on my head/skin- no more nasty chemicals. If anyone knows of a great natural conditioner, I am totally open to that!


Here's a picture of my "shampoo" and "conditioner". I won't be using the apple cider vinegar anymore, but I am still loving the baking soda!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment