Monday, July 25, 2011

Fabric-Covered Cork Board

I have had this cork board for a few years and decided it needed a face-lift. Also, Niall and I always need a place to put our bills, wedding invites, recipes to try, etc. I hunted around on Pinterest (my favorite site!) and found a few good ideas. So here's my stab at a new and improved cork board!

My first step was to paint the outer rim white. All the ideas on Pinterest were for wood-framed cork boards, but mine is cheap and had a black rubber tubing along the edge. So I gave it a few coats of paint and also sprayed it with a clear gloss to make it shine a bit.

I found this fabric from Kate Spain (Fandango Barcelona Azul). I tried to go with a more gender-neutral fabric, but it was very hard to do! In the end, I don't think Niall cared too much!

My next step was to measure and cut the fabric to fit the board.


I sewed the edges because it looks a lot nicer and is easier than forever trimming fraying edges.


After I had the fabric on the board, I attempted to make the edge of the fabric "round" because the edges on the cork board are round. I did the best I could, but it's not my best work. Ah well.


I bought some decorative upholstery nails to keep the fabric in place.



Then I had the idea of adding a shiny ribbon (leftovers from my yarn wreath project) to hold it all up. I had to add some tacks underneath to help support it because it was surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be.

So there you go! A new addition to our boring white apartment walls! And a very helpful addition at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment