Thursday, February 23, 2012

Going Natural

So for awhile now I've been wanting to "go green" except I didn't really understand what that means. This week I've been doing a lot of searching and learning things I hadn't even thought of before. I started thinking about every lotion or cream or type of make-up I have ever put on my skin, and how almost all of it is probably not good for my skin or environment at all. I've also been doing some scoping about healthier eating. I came across this website about foods with the most amount of pesticides in them. When I saw this I thought, "Huh? Aren't all fresh fruits and vegetables good for you?" Well, no. Many of these pesticides can lead to cancer, which I already have enough of in my family, thank you very much. So, I've decided to try to be a bit healthier. From what I wash my hair with to what I clean my house with to what I eat. I know it will be a very long, gradual change but I do feel the need to do it. The bottom line is, I want to be healthier. And I want to leave a smaller footprint on the earth than I am currently leaving. So there you go. Tonight I bought a few things to start off with:
I've been wanting to try Tom's toothpaste for awhile and I was completely out of mine, so I went ahead and did it. It was only about $1 more than my regular toothpaste and I only have to buy toothpaste about twice a year, so I figured, what the heck? I also bought some hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, Dr. Bronner's Soap and a spray bottle to make my own household cleaner. I'll post more about how I'm planning to use these products. I'm especially excited about the Dr. Bronner's because I've heard so many good things about it and I got it for a steal of a deal- $10 at Trader Joe's for the big 32-ounce bottle. It was over $17 at both Super-1 Foods and Huckleberries, so I saved at least $7! 

How do you do "natural living"? I'm curious how other people live and tips they might have! :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I told you, but I definitely tried this! The even funnier thing was that I tried also using olive oil as a hair conditioner.... right before I had to go to work. BAD IDEA because I looked like a grease ball and didn't have time to re-wash my hair! Haha! Someone at work even called me a 'mop head!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nooooooo! You can try honey for a conditioner instead, just don't put it on your scalp! Haha!

    ReplyDelete